[SCADA] HMI Graphic Standards

TSG tglassey at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 10 06:11:38 EST 2009

dandrews at loyyangpower.com.au wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I used that same design philosophy for my SCADA system here ie ASM. The
> screens for the Dredgers and Conveyors are based on the look of a real
> annunciator panel.

In systems where there are only two states - in alarm and not, this
makes sense. But traditional dashboards don't generally give enough
information to characterize the operations of the RTUs or PLC's.

If the intent is just an alarm annunciator then this works fine. If you
need more then multicolor systems tend to be more information but take
more focus of the viewer to determine what state the system is in. I.e.
inside the human mind the evaluation of "color or black and white" is
simpler than something like having to remember the color schema (no
matter how simple it is). You also run the risk of not being functional
for color-blind individuals as well which in the US could be an issue
under the Americans With Disabilities Act since the design of a control
system which colorblindness prevented the use of could be an access to
employment issue.

Crazy world we live in eh?